Sunday, 13 August 2017

Wedding Quilt for Ben and Leah

This quilt has been in the UFO drawer for a long time.  I think I started it at a Quilt class on scraps at the London Friendship Guild?  This quilt used a jelly roll that I've had around for a long time.  The blocks worked up very quickly and it was a fun project to work on.  I needed a gift for a wedding for Leah and Ben, a young couple from our Church.  It's approximately 60" square.  I quilted this one myself on my trusty Bernina 830 vintage sewing machine.  It was finished in May 2017, but I forgot to blog about it. 

Finished quilt

I quilted this one myself using a large overall tear drop shape


Saturday, 12 August 2017

Canada 150 blocks almost caught up

We were on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks so I got a little behind on my blocks.  But I did sneak a little sewing in on my vacation as we were able to stay in a friend's trailer for a few days.  I took a little FW along and set up a sewing spot and finished three blocks.  I have just this week's blocks to finish and I'm all caught up again :-)


Block 106 - 108

Blocks 109 - 111

Blocks 112 - 114


My trusty tablet with the pattern

All set up to sew a few blocks :-)

Ironing station

Innovation

I was testing a Singer 401 in the garage for Jake as he was servicing this machine for one of my students. I was sewing large squares together.  The table was a little rough and there is not much of a flip up bed on a 401.  So, I searched around and found this office organizer? cutlery organizer?  Not sure what it is, but I bought it at a yard sale as these are very handy for keeping scissors  or other tools sorted!  It was just the right height...put my slider sheet over it and voila, a handy extension table for the machine :-).

Singer 401

This really helped make the surface much smoother!


Friday, 14 July 2017

Two granddaughter quilts finished!

I have been working on quilts for all my grandkids for a couple of years and it was Charity and Katie's turn for a quilt for their bed.  They are 7 years old and born almost exactly a month apart.

This is Charity's quilt.  The pattern is "I used to be a layer cake" by Black Cat Creations.   I made a quilt using this pattern for Charity's older sister Kara which you can see here.  I had a layer cake with the same type of bright colours so we used that one for Charity's quilt since they share a bedroom.  They have bunk beds so it's a little hard to get the size right so I made a pillow case to make up for the lack of length.  (Click on the photo to enlarge it for a better view.)

The finished quilt

Love finding the exact match for backing in the sale bin :-)

pillow case to match
I have a collection of soft, fuzzy stuffed animals and each of the grandkids gets one to snuggle with together with the quilt...here are the two little doggies that are living with Charity and Katie now :-)

another view of the finished quilt.  I quilted it myself on my Bernina 830 with diagonal wavy lines right through the borders and through the corners of the bargello pattern in every other row using a walking foot.




Katie's quilt is a design by Lorna McMahon of Sew Fresh quilts.  She posted a note on her blog a year or so ago what we would like to see her design next.  I emailed her that I needed a quilt with flowers for my granddaughter.  She designed a wonderful quilt and I was totally in love with it.   I found this fabric in a quilt shop and that became the focus for finding the colours.

the focus fabric
The finished quilt
It was quilted by Julie Cassidy, a local long arm quilter.  We chose butterflies for the flower garden using turquoise thread.  It was perfect for this quilt

Since I only ended up using one of the focus fabric line in the front of the quilt, I pieced the rest of the fabrics for the back.  That plaid fabric was supposed to be for binding, but the quilt was bigger than I thought so I put it in the back and used 12" lengths of all the colours in the front of the quilt for a pieced binding.

It was a lot of fun piecing all the flowers!

close up of the butterfly quilting - that colour should be light blue :-)

Love the butterfly!

finished quilt



Canada 150 blocks update

We are over the 100 blocks in our Canada 150 project!  The pile of blocks is growing each week.  Here are the blocks for the last four weeks. I have been able to keep up each week, sometimes finishing late Monday night before the next blocks were posted :-).  And we're learning about a lot of Canadian women that we never knew about.  I also got to test a Singer 411G, which my husband had restored, to sew the last 6 blocks.  Sewed like a dream!

Blocks 94 - 96

Blocks 97 - 99

Blocks 100 - 102

Blocks 103 - 105
Testing a Singer 411G on the last 6 blocks :-)

Tuesday, 13 June 2017

Major catch up on the Canada 150 blocks

It is not good to procrastinate on these blocks!  I got very behind as I was away twice for a few days in the last few weeks and just did not have time to catch up.  I tackled a few blocks yesterday and then decided to really focus today and cut all the rest, including today's posting, this morning and finally got completely caught up.  There were some very time consuming blocks in this bunch and I was glad I saved block #77 for last :-).  That went together really quickly.  Now to see if I can keep up every week again!

It was a lot of fun choosing fabrics for the various blocks. I managed to find a few prints in my stash that fit with the story to go with the block.

Blocks 76 - 78
Blocks 79 - 81

Blocks 82 - 84

Blocks 85 - 87

Blocks 88-90

I had purchased these mini templates on keychains years ago and they sure came in handy for blocks 91 and 92

Blocks 91 - 93

Dear Jane - 63rd block

We got together with our little support group this past Monday and I completed I 13 Sweet Harmony.  This is block #63.  This block is paper pieced.