Wednesday 17 January 2007

I Love my Treadle

At our Canadian Sewing Machine Collector's Society, we issue a challenge almost every year. For 2006, this was the fabric that inspired the challenge which we entitled, "I Love my Treadle". We could make anything we wanted that expressed that theme. I had recently purchased the pattern, "Through My Window" by Patchworks Studio and thought that would be fun to use with this fabric. It took some fiddle fussing because these treadles are so large and hard to fussy cut without having the next treadle appear in the block, but by covering up behind the corners with some other fabric, it worked well. I added some antique crocheted lace that I got in one of my antique sewing machine drawers to look like lace curtains reflecting my Dutch heritage. This is the resulting wall hanging that I made. Doesn't it look like I love my treadle? :-). I even won first prize at the challenge for it! When I put the borders on it, they were really black, so I added scraps of batiks that were the discards from curved piecing blocks I made last year. I added a 'lippy' between the border and the binding. A lippy is a narrow strip of flat piping sewn between a seam. I used my vintage Bernina 807 minimatic to satin stitch the edges of the window and, of course, the Singer Centennial 15-88 treadle, made in Canada, to do the quilting. It is quilted with simple stitch in the ditch along all the windows and borders.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Wow! That's really awesome. Did you get my e-mail? I sent the # from my Singer....and a pic...