Saturday 12 January 2008

A new Sheep venture!

My friend Joan's daughter, Christina, made a poster for Joan for Christmas with a number of sheep on it using puns for the inscriptions...a sheep mermaid was 'mersheep', etc. The sheep were the cutest, simple sheep and I immediately thought of redwork. I got Christina to draw me a couple of special 'quilters' sheep' with sentimental sayings. This is the first one she drew:


I stitched the sheep with two strands of black embroidery floss on white cotton and wrote the words on the banner with a pigma pen. I had some black and white FQ's that I picked up last year and two of them worked very well for this little wallhanging for my friend Susan for Christmas. If I do another one, I'll add some red triangles in the corners and possibly cut the white center square a little smaller. I find there's a lot of white on it. The meander quilting is done on my 15-88 Singer treadle. Here is the label that is on the back:

These sheep drawings would make really cute notecards as well. There may be more sheep coming :-).

1 comment:

comicbooklady said...

I love this wallhanging! I don't think the middle needs to be smaller, it gives the eyes a place to rest with the busier borders, plus I like the quilting on the white it reminds me of the sheep's fleece.