Monday 24 August 2009

Curved Log Cabin Quilt UFO finished!

Kay Hannah came to speak at our London Friendship Quilter's Guild awhile ago and did a workshop the next day on the curved log cabin. I cut up beige and green strips from my stash and used a dark brown center. I used almost all the leftover strips and bits and pieces to make a piano key border. The dark strips on this quilt were cut wider than the light strips to get the curved look. I finally finished this quilt for a wedding gift for Jason and Willeke who got married August 1st.


I meander quilted with a really neat variegated thread from King Tut and quilted leaves in the border.

It was fun playing with the layout of the blocks. I eventually settled on the traditional field and furrows:


I did really like this funky layout:
Here is a butterflies option, but because there was not a great deal of contrast in the lights and darks, this didn't show up as well as it does on the photo:
This quilt was a bit of a challenge because I sewed it on four different machines in four different places as we were moving several times. I also forgot to square up the blocks before sewing them together. I sewed all the blocks together in rows and then started putting the rows together and realized that there was a major problem! After pondering if for awhile and calling Christine to check the pattern size since I can't find my pattern yet :-), she encouraged me to just bite the bullet and start picking. I'm very glad I persevered in that, but it was quite the job pulling all those blocks apart again. But, once the blocks were squared up, it came together beautifully! Here you can see just how far some of the rows were out!
I made liberal use of 'my best friend', the stitch ripper!
The finished quilt again taken outside (amazing how different the colours look inside and outside):

4 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

A beautiful Wedding gift--makes me wish I could get married all over again (to the same person, of course!) 20 years next week. It doesn't seem that long.

Debbie said...

I really like the curve effect. Do you know where I could find this pattern? It is lovely.

Miri said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I have made lots of log cabins but never saw one like this-I love the curved wave effect!

susan said...

its lovely!! bravo! is the ratio two to one on the stripes? (say 1/2" to 1" strips)